Saturday, August 15, 2015

Social Anxiety

We are surrounded by people today. In our neighborhoods, at work, and at play. It seems that social anxiety shouldn't be an issue because we are used to being around people all the time. We learn to interact with one another across a broad spectrum of life experiences. So, what is the problem? Why do so many people struggle with social anxiety? In 2007 the adaa.org determined a figure of 6.8% of people struggle with this. This number has gone up over the last 8 additional years.

Many things cause us to be anxious. Fear of failure, fear of embarrassment, fear of germs, fear of not being liked, fear of not being accepted, and many other thoughts motivate social anxiety. The key that I just said was thoughts. The battle has always been and will always start in our thought life. Proverbs 23:7 tells us, "As he thinks in his heart, so is he." Our thought life directs our hearts and the two together cause us both incredible joy and incredible fear.

When I realized a short time ago that I have been battling with social anxiety, I came up with a plan to combat it. I realized this problem after praying a lot and asking my heavenly Father what was causing me, an extrovert, to be okay with not going anywhere. Over time He showed me that I am struggling with a battle in my mind leading to social anxiety. I love going out and doing things but I have been struggling with my health and I became more and more isolated to the point of becoming fearful of going out and being around people. I am not content with living in that kind of fear, so I prayed for a plan and what my Savior gave me is beginning to draw me out of my fear and helping me to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

My first step is acknowledging the problem. Second, praying for God's wisdom instead of my own thoughts on the matter was next. The Lord showed me that my overcoming in this area is to take small trips out of my house and around people so that I get through the fear. I go to shops and interact with people, I go to lunch, and interact with people, I take trips and interact with people, and other things to expose my fear and help me work through it. In addition I confessed this to my husband and asked him to help me overcome it by going with me out and about. One of my fears has been based on my home being my safe zone regarding my Diabetes. At home I have all I need to manage it if my blood sugars go high or low. I get fearful of being out and about and not paying attention and my Diabetes getting away from me, or getting out and about and not having all I need to manage it. Therefore the idea of going out has been causing me stress. How did I handle this? I now carry a pack of all I need when I go out. This way I can take care of myself, and still learn to thrive instead of just surviving.

It is a process. God is faithful. I quote my Rhema verse often, thinking about it and my Lord always helps me.

Proverbs 3:5-6, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own undestanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths."

What anxiety are you struggling with? Pray and ask Jesus. When you have identified it, ask Him for a solution, then work through what He gives you so that you can be mentally, and spiritually healthy and so that you can thrive instead of just survive in the battle areas of your mind and heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment