Wednesday, August 26, 2015

A Name for Myself

I woke up this morning to the horrible news about the reporter and her camera man getting shot and killed in VA. How tragic. My heart hurts for the families of those that lost their lives. The woman that was in the middle of her interview was also shot, though, praise the Lord, she is stable and recovering in the hospital. Then there is the man that did these heinous things. I am sure his reasons are many, but one of them is sure to end up being tied to desiring to make a name for himself. Many people who do shootings like this want to be famous in some way. It is in the heart of many to desire to be recognized as special. Few accept graciously having an ordinary life.

I looked within myself to see if I struggle with this, and sure enough I do. Its not going to cause me to do heinous things, for in Jesus I have a name more precious than any name I can acquire on my own. Beloved, precious, family, daughter. These names have eternal meaning. My own? Not so much. On my own my name would never stand up to any kind of spiritual, holy scrutiny. Sometimes I find myself wanting to be more. My type A personality charges ahead to the front of the line wanting to be seen, recognized as uniquely special, and worthy in some way to be remembered by mankind.

God, in His infinite mercy, strips this away from us as we grow in Christ. Well, He does when we listen. It reminds me of John the Baptist. He was preaching the coming of Messiah, and the kingdom to come. Everyone knew who he was. He was the man baptizing in the Jordan river. He spoke and many came to hear him. He had his own disciples. When Jesus came, those disciples were jealous for John's sake. They did not understand who Jesus is, and so were offended that He was drawing more attention than John. Many things were said along the way, but one of the most important for me in regard to making a name for myself is something that I have prayed many times. "He must increase, but I must decrease." John 3:30. John knew it was not about himself, but about Jesus. It is  not about making a name for myself, but making much of Jesus. His is the name that must be put forth, praised, lifted up, glorified, and recognized. The battle of the flesh is ongoing, but in Christ nothing is impossible. The prayer for all of us in Christ should be to live a life that causes others to see Christ in us, not us at all.

Thought Questions

Where are you pushing yourself forward and trying to make a name for yourself? What can you actively do so that Jesus increases in you and your testimony and you decrease like John taught?

No comments:

Post a Comment