I read an article today on Facebook. It affected me profoundly. I have been watching the news on the Ashley Madison site, which I had never heard of until yesterday. I saw that Josh Duggar professed to use the site after his records were released. I also saw the article on Jared Fogle and his admission of soliciting sex from minors. My heart was so grieved because of this and other stories that were causing me to feel the heaviness of darkness that our world is today.
Tonight I read another article and it reminded me that in the midst of darkness God always leaves pinpricks of light to remind us of who He is and that He is The GOD of Hope, not despair. The story is a 9-11 story about a flight that was turned back from the American border to land in New Newfoundland in the midst of 9-11 and all that happened. It was Delta Flight 15 bound for Atlanta. I will include a link to the story here so that anyone who sees this and wants to read about how God moved a whole community to help those left adrift because of the tragedy unfolding on 9-11 can read it.
I had felt so sorrowful today at all I was hearing in the news. It still fills me with sorrow to see people throw their lives and the lives of their loved ones away so carelessly. It reminds me of the wickedness of our hearts and how apart from Christ there is nothing truly good in us. I like to think I would never do the things these men are guilty of, and I might not do those specific things, but what other sins of my own am I guilty of? Even in Christ I struggle daily with sin. How much more the person apart from Him? Our wicked hearts imagine all kinds of things both large and small to do. That is why we need Jesus so much. He came to seek and save that which was lost. The righteous man sees not the things of the Spirit for they are spiritually discerned. What does that mean? In one sense it means that only those who understand their wretchedness come to God, called by the Father, to receive Jesus as Savior and learn to let Him be Lord. Those who believe they are good turn away for they believe at some level that they aren't that bad so don't need Jesus to redeem them. They use a system of measures of good and bad and hope that the weight on the good side is enough to help them make it through the door to heaven.
We live in a world of darkness, and Jesus alone is the Light of Heaven to give us hope in that darkness. He uses His Word, but He also uses people. People acting opposite of basic human nature by setting aside all of their regularly scheduled financial and personal goals to take care of the 10,500 people who found their way into Newfoundland due to a horrible tragedy as it was unfolding. I hope that the article I am posting is read by someone, and that it reminds you too that God is good all the time and He always gives us rays of light in the midst of life's darkness.
https://www.readfulapp.com/site/Headlines?tag=Breaking%20Headlines&item=55cbaa7b5573e31f1d8a1aae
No comments:
Post a Comment