Wow, today has been full of lots of interesting things. My husband's company Memorial Day celebration happened today, and it was full of great fellowship with a lot of wonderful people. There was some food involved, a bouncy house, a petting zoo that included a Llama, and a fantastic orchestra who played really great music for us. I really enjoyed watching the kids play all around the area we used for the celebration, and seeing them really love on the animals that were brought for them to enjoy!
It got me thinking about something. Enjoying the company of others can be challenging sometimes. It requires the ability to not only talk, but to listen. I will confess I struggle with listening with care sometimes. I am thinking I spend too much time alone and when I get around others I tend to let it all out because subconsciously I am not sure when my next fellowship opportunity is going to come. That sounds kind of sad doesn't it? One of my goals is to learn to be a better listener so that my loved ones, both family and friends, feel loved. When a person hears nothing but their own voice, it shows a sad lack of caring about others, and this is a personal growth area.
The people around me are gracious for the most part. Every once in a while I get someone who looks like they might be avoiding me, and this always makes me feel sad, but I ask myself why that might be, and usually I find that its because I am too focused on me and not enough on them and they feel like I don't really care. Those that have taken the time to get to know me seem to enjoy my company, but they have worked through my anxiety about doing something stupid in front of them, and shown that they care about me and so have brought me to a place of letting my guard down.
My day was fun because who doesn't enjoy fellowship, food, good music and a petting zoo! It was also thought provoking because those I fellowshipped with are part of my family in Christ and I want them to feel loved and appreciated by me. So that is my challenge. Learn to listen, practice saying fewer words so that they can get a word in edgewise, and hold no grudges.
No comments:
Post a Comment