Years ago, when I was a brand new Christian I bought this little book called, "The Bible Promise Book." One Thousand Promises from God's Word. Over the I always keep it fairly near at hand to remind me that God's Word has the answers for life, the universe, and everything. This wonderful little paperback book is pretty dog-eared these days, but still hanging together and is filled with nuggets to help encourage, aid, convict and give hope when things feel out of control. This is in no way intended as a plug for the book, but is intended to share some of my favorite promises with anyone who comes along to read this blog.
One of the things God's Word is good about doing for me is convicting me of my sin so that I have the opportunity to be free of it. If you were to make a list of sins you struggle with, what would be on it? One of mine would be anger. One of my favorite anger promises is from Psalm 145:8. This verse tells me, "The Lord is gracious and full of compassion, slow to anger, and of great mercy." When I look at this verse I see how I could live if I were to choose to put away the anger and seek to be an imitator of God. I tend to want to beat to my own drum, to put away being a Lemming, and be an individual. In Christ I can be me, but the me that seeks to be more like Him. He is the only One I seek to try and imitate and be like in this life. My heart has far to go to match up to this goal, but it is a life goal to be slow to anger, and to instead be merciful toward others and show them the love of Christ. He gives me grace instead of what I deserve, so I need to learn to be like Him and treat others with this same heart attitude.
Another promise that I treasure is from John 12:46. Jesus tells us here, " I am come a light into the world, that whoever believes in me should not abide in darkness." I went through a period in my life where I was terrified of the dark. To me darkness was loss of hope, and despair. I had to be taught by God to not be afraid of the dark because to Him light and dark are the same. Neither is bad because He created them both for a purpose. When I put my faith in Christ I started to not be afraid of the darn anymore, though this took some time because of an ingrained habit, and instead to hold on to Christ in the dark who turns that darkness into the light of hope. I love it!
Over the next little while I think I will share some additional promises that bless me abundantly. Keep checking in if you are interested!
No comments:
Post a Comment